Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Warhammer Chappel

I think it was either Friday or Saturday that while I was painting the 3rd hobbit in my Fellowship project I just go really bored for some reason.  I'm one of those painters that if I get bored with a miniature, I'm not going to do a good job.  I start cutting corners and get really lax on proper blending which causes the entire piece to look rushed.  I don't like my painting to look rushed as I put a lot of time into whatever I'm painting and I always go for the best quality I can produce.

This boredom sometimes happens when I'm going back a forth on a color, trying to get the colors to blend nicely but I keep messing it up.  This is exactly the case on what happened.  So rather than calling it a night for painting, I decided to paint something else.

After staring at a few projects in my room that are ready to go, I decided I wanted to paint a piece of terrain rather than a miniature.  I just finished up yesterday with the piece and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  Take a look....

This particular kit has been out of production for a few months now (probably almost a year), so if your trying to find one at a decent price, it's going to be difficult.  I managed to grab 3 of these kits for $30 at my two local Games Workshop stores.  Well, I grabbed 2 and one Fortified Manor kit (which contains the chapel kit along with the watchtower and a few extra components).  So yeah, 3 total.

As far as putting it together and painting goes, I had fun with it.  I probably should've read some other people's blogs about putting it together as I fell into the trap of attaching the statues to the building before painting it which caused painting that area to be slightly more difficult due to tight quarters.  The painting was pretty straight forward and I got to use my new liquid copper airbrush color.  I painted it on with a brush since I don't own an airbrush and was pretty happy with the results.  Unfortunately, you can really drybrush the airbrush color since its very thin due to the alcohol content in it.  I decided not to go for any OSL effects around the torches as I wanted this to be a very simple piece.  I also didn't greenstuff the seams and gaps as I thought this added some character to the building as a whole.  Overall, I think it's a nice piece of terrain and I already have a few ideas of what I want to do with the next two chapels.

I will return to my Fellowship project and hopefully have an update on that soon.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment