Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Greetings!!!

Hello interwebsters!  First, introductions and formalities I suppose.  We'll go AA style on this one.  My name is Dave, and I love painting miniatures, creating scenery, and generally wargaming.  One of my earliest memories include walking into the game store back in the mid to late 80's, and just being entranced with all the metal miniature blister packages hanging on the pegs.  Later in the early to mid 90's, I'd take a crack at the hobby.  I was terrible at painting.  The guidance back then was rather lacking and there was no internet to go look stuff up.  Metaphorically, it was like stumbling around in a pitch black room.  I was pretty much on my own and needless to say, time went on and I gave up.

Fast forward 15 (or so) years.  It's the end of 2009, and I was moving out of my parents house and into an apartment with my girlfriend.  I'm up in the attic, and I stumble across all my old hobby stuff.  I say "Hey, what the hell, I might get bored and maybe I'll give it a shot again".  So I grab all my hobby stuff, toss it in a box and take it with me.  I toss the box in a closet at my new apartment and forget about it for awhile.

About half a year goes by and eventually I pull out my old box.  I had all sorts of stuff in there.  Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Necromunda, Heroquest, Mordheim, Bloodbowl, and even some old Ral Partha stuff.  Maybe like 10% of its actually painted.  The old Heroquest models caught my eye because I loved playing that game.  I could remember going over to this one kids house everyday in the summer.  We'd bust out the heroquest game and it was a blast.  It was oddly enough the little pamphlet inside that game for Games Workshop that got me into miniatures world to begin with.

Anyhew, I busted out the old paints and started base coating these old plastic Heroquest figs.  It wasn't pretty, but I really enjoyed it.  It brought me back to a time to a simpler age in my life, and it was really relaxing and nostalgic.  Before I knew it, I was looking stuff up online, seeing people on youtube showing how to do techniques I've never even heard of.  An entire world of just how far this hobby has come since my initial dabblings into it opened up before me.  Next thing I know, I'm at the local hobby shops again buying supplies and setting up an entire workshop in my computer room.

Fast forward to today.  I have a huge ikea glass case filled with painted Lord of the Rings Miniatures.  It's my game of choice since I love the skirmish type games with swords, shields, and magic.  I'm also a huge fan of the films.  I've also gotten my nephew (who's 13) into the hobby as well.  Also this past holiday season I started showing pictures of my work on my phone to my family and they seemed generally impressed.

I've been wanting to start a blog on my hobby for awhile now, but unfortunately the time was always lacking and the motivation for writing and taking pictures was most certainly nonexistent.  Truth be told, I've always felt my work was sub-par at best.  I've a pension for comparing my work to the box covers and the guys at eavy metal studios work, and based on that, I know I'm nowhere near that league.  On its own merits though, I think its rather decent, and I put alot of time into my craft.  The purpose of the blog (in a nutshell) is to show off my current works and follow my own endeavors thru the hobby.  I'd like to have a record of my current skill level as of this moment beginning in 2013 and see how it evolves from here on out.  If people find this and get inspired or have constructive criticism for me, great.  If nobody ever really sees this and I just ramble to myself, thats fine as well.  Either way, it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment